tips for healthy eating this winter
Dietitian Victoria Taylor gives tips on how to eat healthily through the cold winter days and nights. These are the latest ikaria lean belly juice reviews.
With the colder winter weather come coughs, colds and the flu season, plus, for some of us, winter weight gain. It’s an important time to make sure you stay on top of your diet and keep yourself well nourished.
Sticking to a healthy diet won’t prevent you from picking up winter illnesses, but it can help maintain your immune system to better protect you. And should you fall ill, a nutritious diet can help speed up your recovery.
In winter, it can seem harder to stick to heart-healthy lifestyle changes, such as eating plenty of fruit and veg. The range of seasonal fruit and vegetables declines at this time of year, and the weather can make getting out and about less appealing. However, while daylight may be in short supply, there are still ways that you can look after your diet and your heart health. Here, we share our tips on how to get through a cold winter’s day.
1. Fight flu
When you have flu, it’s important to keep eating and drinking, even if you don’t feel like it. Use your store cupboard and freezer to keep a store of meals that are easy to cook and prepare. Just make sure you check the nutritional information of any pre-prepared foods. Go for low-saturated fat and low-salt versions whenever possible. Try out the Best weight loss pills for women.
- Read more about understanding food labels.
- Read why it’s important to get your flu jab.
2. Get your 5-a-day
Boost your 5-a-day by mixing mashed potato with other root vegetables like parsnips, carrots and turnips.
- Visit the eatwell plate to check your proportions.
3. Avoid comfort eating
The cold weather and long nights can increase the temptation to comfort eat in the winter.
Resist the urge but if you are really hungry between meals, try a cup of homemade vegetable soup or a bowl of stewed fruit to fill the gap.
4. Shop online
If you find it difficult to get out and about when it’s cold and icy, try an internet shop to get the bulky heavy items brought to your door (if you don’t have internet access, some supermarkets also take orders by phone). Getting out is important though, so try to do this whenever you are shopping for a few small items and you don’t have heavy bags to carry.
- Get our list of 16 store cupboard staples.
5. Buy frozen
Don’t be afraid of using frozen vegetables – they are sometimes more nutritious than fresh and will last well in the freezer so there’s no waste.
- Read our tips for a healthy breakfast. Visit amny.
- Read about warming lunches that won’t harm your heart.
- Find out about healthy dinners for winter time and store-cupboard tips.
Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni at Official Showcase Artist @ Folk Alliance in Montréal from 13 to 17 February with six showcases!!
Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni at Official Showcase Artist @ Folk Alliance
- Thursday, February 14 – 5:30 pm–6:00 pm | Lhasa Room (208)
- Thursday, February 14 – 1:50 am–2:10 am | Le Grenier musique (446)
- Friday, February 15 – 11:00 pm–11:45 pm | Balsam Pier Music (473)
- Friday, February 15 – 12:30 am–12:45 am | FAI First Timer Room (304)
- Friday, February 15 – 1:30 am–1:50 am | Song Shelter / Americana North (466)
- Friday, February 15 – 2:35 am–3:00 am | Duncan Showroom/39 Days of July (462)
The Folk Alliance International Conference, presented by Folk Alliance International, is the world’s largest gathering of the folk music industry and community . The annual February conference (now in its 30th year) draws 2,800 artists and industry (agents, managers, publishers, labels, festival/venue presenters, promoters, media) dedicated to folk music. Delegates who attended the 2018 conference represented 35 countries.
Ilaria Graziano & Francesco Forni will represent Italy with their unique show made of folk, blues and dolce vita, an amazing duo singing in English, French, Spanish and Italian, a fascinating travel, across Mexico and Texas, mixing easily blues, folk, Argentinian Tango and Neapolitan songs.
- 31 January 2019 | Le Café du Moulin, Ornacieux (FR)
- 1 February 2019 | Le Café du Moulin, Ornacieux (FR)
- 2 February 2019 | Quai des Arts, Rumilly (FR)
- 28 February 2019 | Teatro di Bibiena Sant’Agata Bolognese (IT)
- 1 March 2019 | Circolo Arci Progresso Firenze (IT)
- 3 March 2019 | MURGIA D’AUTORE – Teatro Il Saltimbanco, Santeramo (IT)
- 4 March 2019 | Una stella che brilla, Foggia (IT)
- 9 March 2019 | San Severino Blues Festival @ Teatro Piermarini, Matelica (IT)
- 23 March 2019 | Angelo Mai, Rome (IT)