Why is healthy eating important? The benefits of a balanced diet
Posted in Advice, New by Echelon Health
We’re often told that we need to follow a healthy, balanced diet, but just why is healthy eating important?
In this blog post, we’re going to be looking at the importance of healthy eating and nutrition, including the many benefits that a balanced diet has and the effects of poor nutrition. We’ll also be providing healthy eating tips and advice for creating an ‘eating healthy’ plan to start you on your journey. Learn more about liv pure.
Find out more about the importance of healthy eating below.
What is healthy eating?
When we talk about healthy eating, we mean eating a wide variety of foods in the right proportions.
Following a healthy, balanced diet helps your body to get the nutrition and energy it needs to stay healthy, active and well. This type of diet will help you to maintain good health, a healthy weight, and help you to feel your best.
A healthy diet needs to incorporate a range of different foods and should typically consist of:
- Fruit and vegetables (at least five portions per day)
- High-fibre starchy foods such as potatoes, rice, pasta or bread (wholegrain or wholemeal versions are best)
- Dairy or dairy alternatives (such as soya)
- Protein such as beans, pulses, eggs, meat and fish
- Small amounts of unsaturated fats (healthy fats) such as oils and spreads
- Plenty of water (or other fluids)
- Having healthy eating habits, such as eating only enough to feel full
Eating a good variety of these foods every day will help you to get a wide range of nutrients from your diet. Check these livpure reviews.
The benefits of a healthy diet
What we eat and drink can have a huge impact on our bodies and our health, which is why a healthy diet is so important.
There are many benefits of eating healthily. Healthy eating can:
- Lower your risk of chronic health conditions, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers
- Support immune function
- Help the digestive system function
- Help to maintain a healthy weight
- Keep your bones and teeth strong and healthy
- Repair and strengthen muscles
- Improve energy levels
- Support brain function and brain health
- Boost mood
- Help with sleeping patterns
- Support healthy growth and development in children
- Supports healthy pregnancies
The benefits of a healthy diet are huge — providing the energy and nutrients we need to keep active throughout the day while ensuring that we remain healthy far into the future.
The effects of poor nutrition
Poor nutrition is when we don’t get enough of the nutrients we need from our diet. This may happen for a number of reasons, such as following a diet that doesn’t contain a wide variety of healthy, nutritional foods. It can also occur when we follow a diet that is high in saturated fats, salt and sugar. Poor nutrition can also be caused by not eating enough or eating too much.
Some of the effects of poor nutrition include:
- Obesity – a poor nutritional diet full of fat and sugar can cause obesity, which is a major risk factor for many health conditions
- High cholesterol – high cholesterol levels can cause clogged blood vessels and lead to serious health problems
- High blood pressure – also known as hypertension, high blood pressure can be caused by poor diet and can lead to strokes, heart failure and kidney disease if left untreated
- Diabetes – being overweight and inactive, as well as a diet that is high in fat, carbohydrates, sugar and cholesterol, are all type 2 diabetes risk factors (WebMD, 2021)
- Cancer – research suggests a poor nutritional diet may be linked to an increased risk of developing certain cancers, such as bowel cancer
- Osteoporosis – a poor diet without enough vitamin D and calcium can increase your risk of osteoporosis — a health condition that causes bones to become weaker and more fragile
- Heart disease and stroke – other health conditions caused by poor diet, such as hypertension and high cholesterol, can increase your risk of stroke and heart disease
As you can see, poor nutrition can have a big impact on your overall health and wellbeing, being linked to a number of chronic health conditions. So what can we do to avoid the adverse effects of poor nutrition and eat as healthily as possible? These are the best nootropics.
Healthy eating tips
If you want to start eating more healthily, there are a number of easy changes you can make to your diet.
Here are some healthy eating tips:
- Eat your 5 a day: fruit and vegetables are full of many of the nutrients we need to maintain good health and support immunity, such as vitamins and minerals
- Base meals around high-fibre foods: a diet rich in fibre can reduce your risk of high cholesterol, hypertension, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Choose wholegrain or wholemeal versions of pasta, rice and bread, which contain more fibre, vitamins and minerals than the white versions
- Eat a portion of oily fish a week: oily fish such as salmon and trout is full of omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for heart health (lowering your risk of heart disease)
- Include dairy or dairy alternatives in your diet: dairy products such as milk, yoghurt and cheese are rich in calcium, which helps keep your bones and teeth strong (and can protect you from osteoporosis as you get older). Fortified dairy alternatives like oat milk or soy products can also provide this, along with various other vitamins and minerals
- Eat plenty of legumes: beans, lentils and peas are all high in protein and fibre while also being low in fat — so they’re a great way to bulk out meals
- Eat less red meat: while red meat is a good source of protein, too much red meat (such as beef, pork or lamb) in your diet can increase your risk of high cholesterol and heart disease. Try to limit or avoid processed meats such as sausages and burgers, which are high in saturated fat
- Limit sugary foods and drinks: these can increase obesity and cause tooth decay. Avoid sugary snacks such as cakes, chocolate and biscuits and opt for fruit instead
Following these healthy eating tips can help you to maintain good health and reap the benefits of a balanced, nutritious diet.
Eating healthy plan
Creating an ‘eating healthy’ plan can feel hard sometimes, especially if you’re rushed for time or you’ve fallen into an unhealthy dietary routine due to convenience.
The key points to remember are to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, wholegrains and healthy sources of protein (like fish or pulses) while reducing processed food, sugar and alcohol you drink.
Don’t be discouraged if you fall back on old habits, and don’t deny yourself treats or food you enjoy — you’ll only feel guilty and give up on your efforts. Instead, just try to reduce your intake of ‘unhealthy’ foods and swap them out for healthier alternatives where you can.
As long as you are eating a varied diet that contains a balance of foods from the five main food groups (NHS, 2019), you’ll get the nutrients you need naturally.
For more ways to keep healthy, visit our blog post on the top 10 health tips to start the New Year well.
Understanding your health with Echelon Health
At Echelon Health we understand that making beneficial lifestyle changes is important. These changes may come through your diet, exercise levels, sleep routine or relaxation times. However, in order to know what changes you need to make you should be able to have a sound understanding of what your health is at the moment.
To do this, Echelon Health provide several comprehensive assessment packages that cover specific areas of concern, such as your heart through our Healthy Heart package. Or if you are more interested in a full-body assessment then our Platinum Assessment is the one for you.
The list below identifies all the scans and tests involved in the Platinum Assessment. Combining the best imaging technology, several medical experts and the scans, Echelon Health are able to detect up to 92% of preventable causes of death in one comprehensive assessment.
Cantautore raffinato e poliedrico, Mauro Ermanno Giovanardi si muove da più di 20 anni sulla scena musicale italiana come interprete, autore, performer, produttore discografico e direttore artistico.
Tra i creatori della scena underground in Italia, fonda nel 1993 i La Crus, band dirompente che cambia le regole della musica alternativa italiana con 7 album all’attivo, tutti usciti con Warner fra gli anni novanta e duemila.
Solista dal 2007, i suoi 5 lavori sono espressioni di ricerca di atmosfere sempre diverse eppure accomunate da un’impronta inconfondibile e sincera, libera di muoversi fra il rock, il pop e la tradizione cantautorale italiana.
Mauro Ermanno Giovanardi – al secolo Joe – è quattro volte Targa Tenco; prima con i La Crus (1995, 2001) e poi altre due volte da solista (2013, 2015) Partecipa nel 2011 al Festival di Sanremo con Io Confesso, risultando il vincitore morale di quella edizione, e primo nella classifica Ear One del brano più passato dalle emittenti radiofoniche.
Negli anni ha sviluppato un rapporto molto intenso con il teatro lavorando a diversi spettacoli con il Teatro dell’Elfo, storica compagnia milanese, con Francesco Frongia e Ferdinando Bruni, con Mariangela Gualtieri poetessa, attrice, e drammaturga della Compagnia della Val D’Oca di Cesena, e con Marco Foschi, ai tempi attore principale della Compagnia di Antonio Latella.
È stato fondatore insieme a Manuel Agnelli, Giacomo Spazio e Carlo Albertoli della mitica e seminale etichetta indipendente Vox Pop, con più di 100 numeri di catalogo stampati e distribuiti sia in Italia che all’estero.
È stato inoltre direttore artistico di due festival di musica e letteratura molto importanti quali Assalti al Cuore a Rimini (2004,2005,2006 e 2007) e Parola Cantata Festival a Brugherio, comune alle porte di Milano dove è cresciuto (2010,2011).
E dal 2018 ad Ancona per La Mia Generazione Festival, in una location unica e affascinante come La Mole Vanvitelliana, dove con performances, concerti, sonorizzazioni, incontri e Dj Set si racconta quanto la stagione musicale degli anni ‘90 sia stata culturalmente importante e dirompente per gli anni a seguire, sia in Italia che nel resto del mondo. In questi mesi sta chiudendo le registrazioni del suo nuovo album e contemporaneamente lavorando ad un nuovo disco di inediti dei La Crus dopo più di 14 anni
Mauro Ermanno Giovanardi
5 agosto 2022
ore 19.00 apertura porte
ore 19.45 concerto
Ingresso 10€ in prevendita – 12€ alla cassa
Acquista qui il biglietto
ERILI Viaggi ha organizzato una visita guidata pre-concerto per consentirvi di scoprire la location.
Tutte le info sono qui: https://www.eriliviaggi.it/musicastrada-tour
MUSICASTRADA FESTIVAL 2022
Castelfranco di Sotto (PI)
Castelfranco di Sotto (PI)
Castelfranco di Sotto (PI)
Treggiaia, Pontedera (PI)
San Miniato (PI)
Montecastelli Pisano (PI)
Monteverdi Marittimo (PI)